03 August 2011

What will be said of me?

This is my journal entry dated January 29, 2009.

It is not a tradition here in the Philippines to speak eulogies when someone dies. Perhaps some practice it, but most don't. I've seen eulogies on movies, where a family or a friend of the one who passed away gives a short speech about the deceased. Most of the speeches are composed of old memories, bloopers, achievements and the legacy left behind by that person; that is, if there's much to say. I was wondering what would be said of me NOW if I die this instant, when God calls me back home. I would love for someone to speak about my life and how I lived while on earth, but what will they say?

It's one of my goal in life to age gracefully and be able to tell stories to my grandchildren, see them grow, give them pieces of advice, tell them of my love story, be their personal guidance counselor, and many more. But to be that kind of a grandma, I need to start now! Live the life of adventure and it's challenges with my heart set on that goal, with God's help. Then I'll leave this tent with my husband at my side, or maybe alone, not with him, but peacefully. But, I don't want to live just so people can say good things about me. Becoming a lasting legacy is not just to be our goal, it's our destiny. God wants us to excel in everything so we can bring glory to His name. That means He'll help you excel in everything you do if you seek His help.

We don't have to wait for the parting time when we're back to ash-mode; we don't even have to wait 'til we're old just so we can leave a legacy. Every day is an opportunity to leave something to someone they'll remember you by; which they may also pass on to the next generations to come.

1 Corinthians 15:58 "Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."
Ephesians 4:29 "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."
Ephesians 5:15-16 "Be very careful, then, how you live, not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity..."