05 July 2011

Love Stories

I don't know how this started, but I felt like blogging about love stories in the Bible. I don't think it's just out of whim. I started listing the couples in the Scripture weeks ago without any intention of writing about them, but then, just this morning, I wanted to share what I think about their love story and maybe refer to some of the books I've read about them too. 

In this season of my life, I believe I'm close to being in a love story of my own. A God-written love story. While there are wrong decisions I've made which I know somehow made that story complicated and tragic at some point, I believe it's not too late to make my love story aligned with the love story God wrote. 

Now, I don't think I'm qualified to be a reference for people who intend to study the Bible. What I would be blogging about are just my insights, and what I've learned from the love stories. Honestly, I don't know much about the Scripture. Every time I read it, it's always new. There's always something new to learn.

The Old testament is filled with love stories, so I'll start from there. From the love story between God's first image bearers Adam and Eve, to the Greatest Love story in the New Testament.

What's with love stories women love? I remember one of the question I was asked during my Speaking Test in IELTS. The interviewer asked if I love reading; I said yes. The follow-up question was what kind of books I loved as a child. If I was a man, I might have answered Marvel or DC comics or other reading materials about super heroes and action figures. I don't think they dreamt of becoming the only Prince Charming of a maiden. They dream of becoming conquerors and heroes with super powers to save the world. I loved stories about princesses with knights in shining armor or a prince coming to their rescue. This answer was followed by yet another question. "WHY?" What is it with these kinds of stories that captures girls hearts? "Don't these stories make women appear weak?" He asked. I don't remember the exact words I answered him, but I think it goes something like this: It's not really about wanting to be rescued and feeling weak. Every woman dreams of becoming someone's princess, and treated as one; having a prince strong and ready to be on their rescue.

I believe all women have this desire engraved deep within our hearts. God created the first woman into a relationship. She was never single! As soon as Eve realized she is alive, she was married to Adam! They will be the first love story I'll read on and blog about. The goal is to learn something from these love stories, and compare it with the original design of God, with the hope of growing and falling deeper in love with my Lover.

"I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." 
                                                                       - Ephesians 3:17b-19